Monday, October 22, 2012



Making some progress on the Robots of Doom project.  Spent all day and evening Saturday working on this new illustration and writing a book version of the story to pitch at a children's publishing conference in a few weeks.  That's right, a whole book!

This illustration process could use some explaining. I first did a wireframe sketch of the robot in Photoshop because it's so  much easier to build circles and ellipses and move them about to get them right. Then I printed that out, did some pencil shading on it to get my light and shadows where I want them. Then I slipped that under some tracing vellum to render the line art with a Dark Brown Prismacolor pencil. Then I scanned that, cleaned it up and imported it into ArtRage to color with it's watercolor brushes. There will be an entire scene with a street view and crows on a wire, but I'm doing the entire illustration in layers for maximum adaptability.

No comments: